Saturday, March 7, 2009

Shauna turns 13 in Wales!

Wow friends! I am SO sorry that it has been over a month since we last updated our blog! A lot has been happening up here...and the task of writing everything down is a bit overwhelming. But hopefully I can get you all up to speed on what's been happening lately.

Well, Shauna turned 13 on February...uh...28th? We like to celebrate it on the 28th since it is still February and hasn't become March yet. Anyway, this year I decided to do a scrapbook for her like my mom did for me when I turned 13. Thank you all SO much for contributing to it! She was so thrilled!





It was really fun because, for her birthday, we didn't tell her where we were going. We just got in the car and started driving! She eventually got an idea of what we were doing when we pulled up to a castle in Wales where we stayed the night in the "guesthouse", which was just perfect for us! Even though there were plenty of beds, Shauna and I ended up sharing a double one anyway...and we kept poor Jacob us half the night with our talking! Oh well...once in a lifetime right? I think he forgave us the next morning.

The breakfast in the castle dining room the next morning was absolutely scrumptious! Not only was their typical stuff like cereal and eggs...they had bacon, shrimp, cooked mushrooms (which were amazing!), baked beans (that's an English breakfast thing), cinnamon roles, ham, and much more! I was totally stuffed.

So after we stuffed ourselves to the limit, we decided to do some hiking...or rather, exploring. There really aren't definitive "trails" here like you would find in Colorado or some other place in the US. Often times, you have to scramble over fences or jump over gates to stay on the "right trail". So that is great fun! We drove about halfway up a mountain and then parked and hiked the rest of the way up, over rocks and brush. (I was NOT in walking shoes or clothes...we hadn't really planned on hiking...it was a last minute decision. Hahaha...but I had a lot of fun anyway.)


After climbing two of the nearby hill/mountains we drove for what seemed like forever, on these itty-bitty roads that are meant for two cars, but they only fit one. We actually took a video of it and I am going to try to see if I can put it up for all of you, because it was really wild!

After driving for a long while, we came to an amazing castle that is situated on the top of a hill. It was really beautiful! Okay, I guess it was a ruined castle, but it was still pretty amazing. You had to hike to the top of the hill to get to it and the views from the top were like none that I have ever seen. I felt like I was standing on top of the world. It was incredible.

The pictures in these two albums are the ones that my dad took. I still need to upload the ones that I took so you all can see them. I stole the nice camera.... hahaha. Just follow these links to see some pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=105395&id=664542526&l=ccc5b

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=105399&id=664542526&l=543ae

Shauna also wrote about her birthday experiences and you can read it at: http://shaunasawesomeblog.blogspot.com/

Well, we are getting SO excited about our friends the Brooks coming over spring break! We are planning on going to London and Bath, as well as Scotland! They arrive next week and will be with us for 10 days! I will definitely be putting more pictures up as we get them!

Have a great week! I hope you enjoy all the pictures!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Emily! Sounds like Shauna had a special birthday. She looks so much like your mom.

Well, I'm off to look at the links you put up with the pictures!

Love ya.
Lynnette